Junior Staff Attorney Opportunity
Muslim Legal Fund of America (“MLFA”) seeks a Junior Staff Attorney for its Civil Litigation Department within its Legal Division, the Constitutional Law Center for Muslims in America (“CLCMA”). CLCMA oversees cases with issues related to civil, criminal, and immigration rights that are important to the Muslim community and protect the rights guaranteed to all in the U.S. Constitution.
Muslim Legal Fund of America’s mission is to advance equality and justice by promoting legal compliance and protecting the rights of all Americans, as guaranteed by the Constitution. We handle an array of cases funded by donations from the community, and choose cases designed to have a positive impact on American Muslim organizations and individuals.
Do you want to take a stand against injustice?
Our Junior Staff Attorneys must work well in a diverse workplace and be willing to take on novel legal issues because our mission is focused on complex civil matters that may include litigation. These cases require rigorous preparation of normally routine administrative matters with an eye toward federal litigation. Our legal team must embrace the intellectual challenge of being on the front lines of changing legal landscapes.
To be successful in the Junior Staff Attorney role, you must be a creative and strategic thinker with a passion for justice.
• Assist with a diverse caseload of nationwide federal civil litigation and administrative matters.
• As appropriate and under the direction of the Civil Litigation Department Head, examine witnesses and present arguments in pre-trial, trial, and appellate Civil Litigation proceedings.
• Draft complaints, motions, briefs, discovery and all the things for civil litigants in federal courts at all levels.
• Conduct legal screenings and consultations with potential clients and make recommendations to management.
• Work to ensure proper administrative exhaustion of relevant matters prior to litigation, with great attention to detail and the varying applicable administrative procedures.
• Meet case deadlines, both set by courts and those set internally.
• Collaborate with community partners to develop presentations and other educational
• Assist the legal team on a variety of tasks, projects, processes, and initiatives as
• Collaborate with team members to determine case strategy.
• Represent MLFA’s values on a daily basis.
Experience and Education
• JD from an accredited university
• Admission to a state bar, including at least one federal jurisdiction
• Demonstrated interest in public interest law
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Adobe
• Prior nonprofit experience preferred
• Experience working with marginalized or impacted communities, grassroots
organizations, and non-governmental organizations
• Bilingual with English and Farsi or Arabic a plus
Apply now to be considered for this opportunity!
MLFA is an equal-opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
- Date Posted March 28, 2023
- Recruiter Name Christina Jump
- Company Name MLFA/Const'l Law Center for Muslims in America
- Job Type Full-time
- Practice Areas Appellate, Non-profit, Civil Rights, Lawsuits / Trials / Litigation
- Years of Experience 2-5
- Firm Size 1-15
- Workplace Type In-person
- Require Resume? Yes
- Require Cover Letter? Yes
- Position Summary Our Civil Litigation Junior Staff Attorney role provides excellent opportunities for someone with 2-5 years of experience as an attorney to do meaningful litigation work on constitutional challenges helping a diverse range of clients.
- Salary Range $50,001 - $100,000
- Apply By April 28, 2023
- Website https://www.mlfa.org