Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
SMU’s more than 12,000 diverse, high-achieving students come from all 50 states and 80 countries to take advantage of the University’s small classes, hands-on research opportunities, leadership development, community service, international study and innovative programs. The University offers a strong foundation in the humanities and sciences and undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs through eight schools.
Now in its second century of achievement, SMU is increasingly recognized for the ways it supports students, faculty and alumni as they become ethical leaders in their professions and communities. Now in its second century of achievement, SMU is increasingly recognized for the ways it supports students, faculty and alumni as they become ethical leaders in their professions and communities. The University’s entrepreneurial spirit lives in people from every academic discipline who see opportunities to create something new in the world – and work hard to bring their innovations to life. SMU’s relationship with Dallas – the dynamic center of one of the nation’s fastest-growing regions – offers unique learning, research, social and career opportunities that provide a launch pad for our students, faculty and alumni to make a global impact. On the most beautiful college campus in the country, SMU Mustangs are energized by unbridled opportunities – from teaching, learning and research to creativity, performance and athletic endeavor.
About the Department:
The School of Law at SMU was established in February 1925. Highlighting the celebration of its 75th year, SMU School of Law was named Dedman School of Law in 2001 in honor of Dallas benefactors Nancy and Robert H. Dedman, Sr., and their family. With more than 15,000 graduates, SMU Dedman School of Law has a national and international reputation of training prominent lawyers in both law and business. As the first law school in Dallas, we are fortunate to be in a city with a thriving economy, many corporate headquarters, and an outstanding legal community. SMU Dedman School of Law continues to strive to develop the next century of leaders.
About the Position:
The Associate Director is responsible for (1) developing relationships with large firm recruiting contacts and engaging firms in recruiting SMU Dedman Law students, (2) marketing SMU Law students and graduates to legal employers in all sectors, (3) providing extensive individual career counseling to students and tracking employment status of those students, (4) educating students about the legal profession, career opportunities and job search techniques through workshops, programs, and authoring resources, (5) managing all aspects of large firm recruiting both on and off campus and resume collection, securing the school’s participation in job fairs, coordinating large firm events and initiatives (6) representing OCS to external groups, including industry organizations and attending community events where networking can be accomplished and (7) assisting with the daily management of the office as needed or directed.
- Develops relationships with large firm recruiting contacts, engaging them to actively recruit our students, manages all aspects of the recruiting process both on and off campus, including the Houston and resume collection programs, assists w/ Specialty Recruiting Programs, secures school’s participation in job fairs, coordinates large firm events and initiatives, and markets students to employers.
- Provides individual one-on-one counseling to students, reviewing resumes, cover letters, business correspondence and other application materials to ensure student materials best position students for success for jobs in all legal sectors and tracks job status of each class for reporting purposes.
- Assists in the design and implementation of educational programming for law students to inform them of career opportunities in all legal sectors and educates them on how to secure those positions. Helps to secure speakers for OCS programs.
- Assists with large firm communication and outreach as well as the Mock Interview Match Program.
- Represents OCS to external groups, including industry organizations, and attends community events where networking can be accomplished and assists with the daily management of the office as needed or directed.
Education and Experience:
Juris doctor is required and 2 years of work experience or, master’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience in the legal industry, or bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience in the legal recruitment department at a large firm.
Field of study preferably in Higher Education, Law or Counseling.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidate must demonstrate willingness and desire to work with and counsel law students to help them achieve their career goals. Candidate must possess the ability to work independently and take initiative, as well as be a team player who works well on group projects. Strong presentation skills is required. Candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Office products ((e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Must demonstrate ability to manage programs and events.
Candidate must demonstrate strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate broadly across the University and develop and maintain effective relationships with a wide range of constituencies. Must also demonstrate strong written communication skills.
Candidate must possess strong problem-solving skills with the ability to identify and analyze problems, as well as devise solutions. Must also have strong organizational, planning and time management skills.
Physical and Environmental Demands:
- Sit for long periods of time
- Bend and stand
- Reach above shoulders
- Carry/lift 25 lbs.
Deadline to Apply:
Priority consideration may be given to submissions received by December 1, 2022.
Deadline to apply: December 15, 2022.
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, firstname.lastname@example.org.
SMU offers staff a broad, competitive array of health and related benefits. In addition to traditional benefits such as health, dental, and vision plans, SMU offers a wide range of wellness programs to help attract, support, and retain our employees whose work continues to make SMU an outstanding education and research institution.
SMU is committed to providing an array of retirement programs that benefit and protect you and your family throughout your working years at SMU and, if you meet SMU’s retirement eligibility criteria, during your retirement years after you leave SMU.
The value of learning at SMU isn’t just about preparing our students for the future. Employees have access to a wide variety of professional and personal development opportunities, including tuition benefits.
- Date Posted November 21, 2022
- Recruiter Name Michele Zils
- Company Name Southern Methodist University
- Job Type Full-time
- Practice Areas Education/Schools, Professional Liability
- Years of Experience 2-5
- Firm Size 100+
- Workplace Type In-person
- Require Resume? Yes
- Require Cover Letter? Yes
- Apply By November 21, 2022
- Website https://smu.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=DED00000330&tz=GMT-06%3A00&tzname=America%2FChicago